The problem with working overnight shifts on a regular basis is that you eventually live the life of a vampire, parallel to and separate from the rest of the world. During the day, there is an irresistable urge to sleep. In my case, blinds can even be all the way up and the slunlight can be rushing in through the bedroom sliding glass doors, landing right on my cheeks. These days the sunlight feels like a warm fuzzy yellow blanket that I wrap around myself at bed time. When night time comes around on the Night Off, I'm hit with energy, abmition to get stuff done: go to the gym, run errands, catch up on journal articles, finally mop the floors, do some laundry or go grocery shopping. Or just the regular, fun, type of shopping. The problem is that by the time I'm awake from my groggy day sleep, the whole rest of the world is getting ready to close shop.
Here's another problem with the overnight shift: I love the sun, warmth, even heat, beaches - especially dog beaches, bike rides, shopping at outdoor malls. So, tonight is one of my three remaining Nights Off and my goal is to be sleepy like everyone else in this house, so I can get up before noon and spend most of the day in the sun with the other humans. We will see if half a tablet of Ambien will do the trick. Good night to those of you how are sleeping, and good luck to the other insomniacs out there.
Thursday, March 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment